START/FINISH LINE SPONSORS
PASTA PROVIDED BY
T-SHIRTS PROVIDED BY
This is why we run...
From July 1, 2009 through June 30, 2010 in the Barren River Area Development District of south central Kentucky, there were 6,427 reports of abuse/neglect. Of these reports, 2,174 were investigated and involved 2,942 children. From these reports, 982 children in our ten-county area were confirmed to have been abused or neglected. We think you will agree that this number is unacceptable. Child abuse is a dirty little secret that no one wants to talk about, but ignoring it will not help the child who fears the very person who is supposed to protect him or her. Child abuse and neglect is usually the result of a parent who has reached the end of their frustration and does not have the skills or support system to help them deal with their problems. It is our job to give the parents the tools necessary to make good decisions during these difficult times. By providing parents with parenting classes, in home education, affordable daycare, adoptive/foster parent support, and opportunities to visit with their children in a safe environment we will have taken an important step towards child abuse prevention.
Check out the 2013 Results!
Coming from out of town? Here are some places to stay:
Here’s what people say about the Run/Walk for Children…..
- "I love this race, best volunteers ever"
- "This was the first 1/2 marathon I ever ran so I decided to make it a yearly tradition"
- "This is the first race I ever completed without walking, so it is very special to me. I'll always participate"
- “Had an awesome time and you had the best goodie bag”
- “I like the rural setting. It is a good time of year to tune up for country music or Kentucky Derby marathon”